tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 20 20:28:29 1997

yIjey'lu'

Tad Stauffer writes:
>   {vaj Qaghlu'DI' peQuch!}  Hmm...  For some reason, I don't want to have
>one verb here with an indefinite subject, and then use the imperative with a
>definite plural subject.

jIH munuQbe'.  It seems fine to *me*...

>  It seems really weird and contradictory, however to
>use imperative prefixes with the suffix {-lu'}.  That is, it seems to me that
>could you use {yIjeylu'} to mean "Be defeated!"...,

[SFX: a mind stretching and reaching a new shape]  *creeeeeeak.....twang!*
That's...interesting.  Very...interesting.  At first glance, it's odd.  At
second glance, it looks like it works.

>but it would be impossible
>to use something like {yIQuchlu'} "Be happy" that would be said to people in
>general, instead of a defined group.  Just a thought.

Yeah, the {-lu'} suffix on an intransitive verb, imperative or not, doesn't
work for me.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level