tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 15 13:49:22 1997

Re: Ha'DIbaHmey

At 09:06 PM 9/14/97 -0700, SuuStel wrote:
>[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
>> >
>> >Actually, your translation is not supported by canon.  {tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH
>> >nuq}
>> >means "What is a Klingon animal?"
>>
>> Certainly, by itself as a sentence, it means that, in clipped Klingon.
>
>I don't think it's clipped.  Okrand didn't say anything about it being
>clipped, he said (in a post to the MSN forum)

bIlugh.  There was a point at which we believed that to be clipped before we
knew that nuq behaved like a pronoun in to be sentences.  jIlIjpu'.  Hagh
qoHpu' neH HeghtaHbvIS SuvwI'pu'

>> But as surely as {tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH tlhuQ} means "a Klingon amimal's tail,"
>> {tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH nuq} means "a Klingon animal's what?"
>
>Not really so surely.  There's been a lot of debate on that point.  Can
>question words be used in this way?  Could you say {'Iv tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH} for
>"whose Klingon animal"?  If so, shouldn't you also be able to say {SoH
>tlhIngan Ha'DIbaH} for "your Klingon animal"?

I defend my statement based on TKD 6.4, which states, "for {'Iv} _who?_ and
{nuq} _what?_ the question word fits into the sentence in the position that
would be occupied by the answer."

I'll accept its debatability, based on its new pronoun-like status, but I
argue on the side of the debate that allows {nuq} in noun-noun compounds.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level