tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 15 12:25:01 1997

Re: yet more KGT puns

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 09:39:41 -0700 (PDT), ~mark wrote:

>A word like [Stan] would, indeed, break the rules of Klingon phonology so
>far as we know them, and unless our data is wrong (which would be very
>surprising considering how much data we have), could not exist in Klingon.
>However, I don't Scott was suggesting this; I think he was just joking
>about Okrand's jokes, saying that following the punning style we've been
>seeing, he'd have expected [Stan] to be the word for "big" (for some reason
>which I don't personally know).

Hu'tegh!

I was not joking; I was unaware of this rule.  TKD gave me information
on pronouncing and using words, but I recall nothing on constructing
them.  Have I been derelict in my studies, or is this information to
be found elsewhere (thus not previously available to me)?

My reason for desiring {Stan} to mean "be big" is quite simple:  "Be
Big" is the title of a short film featuring Oliver Hardy and *Stan*
Laurel.

Scott D. Randel
tera'ngan thlIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level