tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 19:38:37 1997

Re: qaStaHvIS poH jIQubtaH

ghItlh charghwI':

>First of all, realize that this is poetry and you cannot expect
>poetry to translate directly from one language to another...

I agree - and it is even worse to translate a snippet of poetry than a
whole poem. The concepts aren't going to carry the same shades in one
language than they do in the other. You and I are in total agreement.
Probably no one on earth is really qualified to write poetry in Klingon, to
your requirements, and I won't argue. If a few of you are, I apologize! But
a language which is barely over a decade old and only a small vocab and
canon base is unlikely to have the resources needed for true 'art' to be
created. (Someone, please prove me wrong!)

My intention was not to create a statement of equal poetic power - rather,
to simply state the idea that time is like a fire, in that we are caught in
it and 'burning'. Simple as that. (At least I think it's simple.) I am not
saying I or any of the others were successful - but merely that it is a
concept worth wrapping the brain around.

>Oh, and as far as we know, there IS not transitive sense of
>{meQ}. All canon examples so far use it intransitively, so we
>know you can use {meQmoH} to get your meaning.

KGT p. 191 to'waQ meQ vutwI'. The cook burns the tendon.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level