tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 10 11:44:40 1997

Re: KLBC: (Requiem) fixed loS'DIch 'ay'

ghItlh Edy:

> nuq jIjalth
> What I will say?

'ej ghItlh Qov:

>Treat nuq as the object of the verb, so use the verb prefix {vI-}.
>
>nuq vIjatlh?

'ach ghItlh ~mark:

> Verbs of speaking use conjoined phrases, yes, IN EITHER
>ORDER, and what's more the thing said is not considered the object (the
>verb-prefix is no-object or reflects the indirect object, the person
>addressed).

If Mark is correct, then I would assume that Qov's question asks "! speak
in what language?", not "What will I say?". I think perhaps nuq jIjatlh is
better. I wish I understood exactly what was being translated in context -
haven't heard a Requiem in a while...and never in English. (I also wish I
understood jatlh better...)

Qermaq

Back to archive top level