tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 09 21:59:16 1997

Re: KLBC: lo' Orkand *German slang* mu'mey tlhInganHolDaq ?

muHwI' wrote:
>Since this is not "KLBC" I will answer what I can
>and then send it to Qov as "KLBC"    {{;-)

lu'.

da Hiasl wrote:
>jI *Austria*ngan . *Austria*Hol * bIng Hol *German.

I don't remember seeing you post before.  Welcome (or welcome back). I'm Qov
and
my current mission is to help beginners with their Klingon.

The verb 'to be' doesn't exist in Klingon so there are a couple of
constructions that represent it.  To say "I am <a something>" you use what
you are followed by the pronoun: {*Austria*ngan jIH}.  (The prefixes like
{jI-} listed at the beginning of chapter four can *only* be used when they
are attached to verbs, never as independent words). To say "<something> is
<something else>" you use a slightly more complicated construction:
*Austria* Hol'e'} "Austrian is Low German."  Be aware that the term "low
German" is an expression that won't translate well.  It might be better to
say something like {Hol QIv}.

See section 6.3 in the dictionary to read about the 'to be' forms.

>mujatlh *German* pabpo'pu' .

jIyajchu'.  "German grammarians speak to me."  {pabpo'} is kind of an
unofficial KLI word, you should be aware.

>*German*HolDaq je "Austria"HolDaq :

Conjunctions joining nouns go after all the nouns.  {-Daq} represents
physical location.  I'm not sure that a word is physically located in a
language.  {-vaD} might be a better choice here: {*German* HolvaD *Austria*
HolvaD je}

>*gaH*  nom-oH .

I don't know what you are saying here.

>*Klingan*  taj-oH.

{tlhIngan taj 'oH} means "it is a Klingon's knife" but I don't think this is
what you are saying.

>tlhIngan mu' *Daq* ghaytan-oH' oH-mo'

You want to say: "the Klingon word {Daq} is likely from it," right?
Another way to translate 'to be' into Klingon is to use another verb, and
that is the approach I recommend here.  We don't hyphenate words together
with pronouns in Klingon, and remember that the word for "it" is three
letters: 'oH.

ghaytan 'oHmo' chen tlhIngan mu' {Daq}.
The Klingon word {Daq} likely formed because of it.

>*German*mu' *da* oH "naDev" joq "pa'"
>( The Klingon word "Daq" could be taken from the German
>  word "da" , which means "here" or "there" . )

Again an improperly formed 'to be' construction that could use a different verb.
And have another look at section 5.3.  When conjunctions join nouns they go
*after* the nouns, not between.

{naDev} {pa'} joq 'oS *German* mu' *da*.
The German word "da" represents {naDev} and/or {pa'}.

>jItul choyaj

This says "I hope.  You understand me."  To say "I hope you understand me"
you need to say "I hope *that* you understand me."  Use the sentence as
object construction from section 6.2.5 and you get {choyaj 'e' vItul}.

tlhoS qayaj - I almost understand you.

When people use English grammar in Klingon I can sometimes guess what they
mean, but I suspect you are using German grammar and I don't know it, so I'm
having a hard time.  An English translation would help next time.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level