tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 08 09:29:08 1997

'obe' as pun

> Got another one, maybe:
>
> 'obe': order, group officially recognized by government
>
> It's a stretch, but since Marc's somewhat involved in education,
> the current push toward Outcome Based Education being mandated by
> the government seems a possible source...

jIQochnIS.  I read this one straight off as OBE, Order of the
British Empire, a well-known honour awarded to people the government
recognizes for their outstanding citizenship.  I think there is
something similar in the US, President's Medal perhaps?  This is a
non-military honour.  The equivalent in my country is the Order of
Canada.  People are spoken of as 'belonging to the Order of Canada,'
i.e. recipients are a group officially recognized by the government.
I assume we borrowed the concept and terminology from the OBE.

I'm positive there is a pun hidden in the word for scoop, but I
can't find it.

- Qov

Robyn Stewart                     [email protected]
NLK Technical Library  ph. (604) 689-0344 fax (604) 443-1000
NLK Consultants Inc. 855 Homer Street, Vancouver BC  V6B 5S2

Back to archive top level