tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 07 20:11:44 1997

Re: RE: "Soldiers of the Empire" and KGT

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997 07:58:28 -0700 (PDT)  Chet Braun
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >As for why the writers don't use the tlhIngan Hol as accurately as we do -
> >a similar question is Why can't we write as well as they do? It takes
> years
> >of practice to perfect either discipline.
>
> >Qermaq
>

> Who in blue blazes thinks they write well?!?!?  A number of Voyager
> episodes come to mind.  My favorite, for extremely poor writing, being the
> "Captain Lameway as a fornicating salamander" episode.  Geez, give me a
> break, any of their writers should be as creative as many of you that I saw
> at the qep'a'.
>
> HetaQ

My favorite was the one with the one starting with the '40s Ford
pickup truck drifting through space in the Gamma quadrant, which
they pulled into the shuttle bay and promptly started. Never
mind that gasoline and battery acid tend to evaporate in a
vaccuum, and even if they didn't, while weightless, they would
tend to drift through the air vents, and with 50 years or so to
do it, I somehow doubt there would be much of either left on
that truck. And I wonder how it got rusty, since it was new when
it was tossed into the vaccuum. And then there's that thing
about really cold engines being somewhat of a challenge to turn
over, even with gasoline, oil and battery acid in their proper
places.

I wonder what they did with that truck. You never see it
featured in any of the other episodes...

Anyway, it did stress my willing suspension of disbelief.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level