tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 04 19:42:03 1997

Re: KLBC: HeghvaD nol bom'a' (Requiem)

ghItlh SuStel
>...Let me point out that Klingons consider a dead body an empty shell, and
treat it as
>such.  A dead body is a health hazard, takes up space needlessly, and can
be
>quite disgusting after a time.  I'm sure Klingons would find the most
>efficient method of disposing of it as soon as possible.  Thus, they
probably
>wouldn't sing funeral songs, they'd just vaporize or bury the body and be
done
>with it.  Songs about the warrior still work, but these would not be tied
>the disposal of the body.

According to "Kahless" (the novel) even in our 10th century they knew to
burn bodies to prevent disease.  We thought it was *cats*!  (That's Europe.
 I don't know about the East.)

>I wouldn't even mention this, except that you say you're trying to adapt
the
>song to fit Klingon culture.

I remember once Krankor as an example translated Auden's "Ask not for whom
the bell tolls" as "'IvvaD ghum chuS'ugh yItlhobQo'."  Something that would
fit in better might be "'IvvaD jachtaH chaH yItlhobQo'" -- "Ask not for
whom they are howling."  Hegh 'oS *bell*mey beymey je.  Heghpu'bogh
tera'nganpu'vaD bIH *bell*mey'e'.  Heghpu'bogh tlhInganpu' bIH beymey'e'.
Of course, there's {ghel} but we obviously didn't have that word then.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level