tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 02 13:15:17 1997

Re: KLBC: New to the language

At 12:22 PM 9/2/97 -0700, mIyqa' wrote:
>Hello to all!
>
>My name is mIyqa' (I've not taken it for what it stands for, but for the
>pronouncing of it)

Hello mIyqa'.  As you put KLBC in your subject it looks like you know who I
am and how this list works.  So I'll be direct.

>I would like to know is this sentence correct:
>
>Qat Quj bIQuj daneH'a'
>It should be: "Do you want to play a popular game?"

Not bad.  It actually reads: "The game is popular do you want to play?"
Here's how to say what you wanted:

"A popular game" is {Quj Qat}: a verb acting as an adjective follows the noun.

The verb {Quj} has an object, the other {Quj}, so you must use the you-it
prefix, {Da-}.

And never forget to capitalize D.

Quj Qat DaQuj DaneH'a'?  == Do you want to play a popular game?

>mIyqa' <http://www.jyu.fi/~tualhone/indexkli.html>

I haven't checked these.  Why not look them over again for similar errors
and post a few.

Qov  ([email protected])
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level