tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 01 18:30:51 1997

Re: A KGT Pun (Sub)

Jarno Peschier wrote:

> On 26 Aug 97 at 9:49, Robyn Stewart wrote:
>
> > >Um, "A hero ain't nothin' but a sandwich". Like the "Sub" sandwich
> > >popular at the world-spanning "Sub"way chain, qar'a'?
> >
> > An American-Greek fast food sandwich of rotisseried beef and lamb on
> > a pita is called a gyros. [...] Gyros came into American English as
> > "hero" and the meaning got extended to subs, sandwiches made in
> > a long, SUBmarine-like bun.  Hence hero = sub.
>
> Mmm, interesting. I do know about gyros. The sandwich is just called
> "broodje gyros" here in Holland, where "broodje" simply means
> sandwich. Good to know these things are known as "hero" in the US.
> ;-)
>
> > Why is this relevant enough to be worth posting?  My research
> > reveals that virtually all restaurant supplies for the manufacture
> > and sales of gyros are controlled by a company called
> > Kronos-Central.  How could I not tell you?
> > - Qov, who is almost completely sure this is a coincidence
>
> Are you really sure about that? Coincidence doesn't exist. Just look
> at all the new words in KGT... <grin>
>
> Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
>    mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
>     'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

This message is not about Klingon, but my opionion about the word Gyro
and Hero.

Gyro is pronounced as /yee-row(ss)/ {yiro(s)} in Greek, and that is how
I pronounce it.
Gyro is also /jigh-row/ {dZajro} using English sounds, and /he-ro/ {hiro
(or actually) Hiro} using Spanish sounds for the spelling.

And that is how I think they are called hero sandwiches.

Note: if you are not familiar with the pronounciation between the braces
{} just ignore it.
But the H is pronounced exactly like the Klingon H.

Back to archive top level