tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 01 02:21:16 1997

Re: Two more Okrandian puns

On 31 Aug 97 at 7:23, Bill Willmerdinger wrote:

> > {jey'naS}  "double headed ax" (n)
> >
> > Janus was the ancient Roman god of doorways, beginnings, and the
> > rising and setting of the sun. He was usually represented as
> > having one head with two bearded faces back to back, looking in
> > opposite directions. Patron of the month of January (which was
> > named after him), he could both look back to the year just ended
> > as well as forward to the year to come.
>
> Oooooh!  Nice catch.  I've forgotten most of my mythology, but I
> don't think I'd have remembered that one anyway.

Mmm, if it wasn't mentioned I would never find this one myself. I
don't pronounce "Ianus" as "jey'naS" at all. Would be more like
"ya'nuS" for me. And I think that should have been better, since the
Romans  didn't speak with an English accent (or pronounciation)...
<grin>

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level