tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 31 20:00:43 1997

Re: KLBC:some sentences

At 06:24 97-10-27 -0800, you wrote:
}Greetings all
}  A couple of sentences I've been working on
}
}QI'to' HaD ghojwI'  The student studys military tactics

I recommend against making compound nouns this way.  {QI' to'} is clearer.

}ja'be'ghach vI'Ip   I vow not to tell

I'm guessing you are aiming at a literal meaning like "I swear the act of
not telling."  Use the Klingon sentence-as-object tool to say "I swear that
I won't tell."  {jIja'be' 'e' vI'Ip} If reading section 6.2.5 doesn't make
it clear how that works, follow up and ask.

}bIvem               You wake up
}chovenmoh           You wake me up

maj. But make sure to shift for the {H}.  {chovemmoH}

}qoH vuvbe' SuS      The wind does not respect a fool(I wrote this before
}I read it in TKW?)
}tIq ghItlh'e'       The mauscript is long

The {-'e'} is unnecessary but not incorrect here.  It gives the idea that
"the MANUSCRIPT is long" (as opposed to something else being long).  I think
you might have used the {-'e'} suffix here because of confusion with
sentences that say "A is B" equating two things.  When you use a verb of
state or quality to say "A is quality/stateB" that's not a Klingon to be
sentence.

}qIb'a'              The big galaxy

More than just the big galaxy.  This nmight be a galaxy composed of
galaxies, or the greater galactic metropololis, as opposed to its downtown
core .

}tIn 'oH qIb'e'      The galaxy it is big

If {tIn} were a noun, this sentence would correctly say. "The galaxy is a tIn."
But {tIn} is a verb so the sentence is strange.  I actually would read this
as meaning what you have said it means, but "The galaxy it is big" isn't
really correct English.  The normal English is "the galaxy is big."  The
normal Klingon is: {tIn qIb}.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level