tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 29 01:37:53 1997

Etymology

Possible history of {'In} = "bell".

Probably not from "inbal" of Hebrew.  My guess is it comes from Mandarin for
"sound", half the construction of {yin-yueh} = music.

Has anyone noticed we now have ways to say "a la king" and "a la Kiev"?

And, a long time ago this listserv discussed {ghov} = "recognize".  I have
found in KGT 19 an example:  {qablIj vIghov}.

Finally, what was the word {wo'rIv} used to name the illegal movement in the
batleH tournament that caused him to finish ninth instead of winning the cup?
 It had something to do with a bop on the head, also illegal in kendo,
qar'a'?

peHruS

Back to archive top level