tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 25 18:36:29 1997

Re: plans

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:04:14 -0700 (PDT) Neal Schermerhorn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ghItlh muHwI':
>
> >So is there no way to say things like in english:
> >"I want to see how a ship is..."
> >"...why it is..."
> >"...when it was..."
> >"...where he went..." etc.
>
> Duj chenmoHlu' 'e' vIbej vIneH.
"I want to see that a ship is built."

I want to see how a ship is built:
Duj chenmoHmeH mIw vIyaj vIneH. mIwvam vIlegh vIneH.

> Duj chenmoHlu'meH meq vIyaj vIneH.
maj.

> Dujvam chenmoHlu'meH poH vIghoj vIneH.
chorgh chen Dujvam?

This is one of those indirect, wandering English sentences. "I
want to know when the ship was built." A Klingon would just ask,
"When was the ship built?" Humans like to use extra words.

> Daq ghoSbogh vIbej vIneH.

Daj. maj.

> >We always have to recast?
>
> Translation is ALWAYS recasting. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. That's
> what differentiates a language from a code.

bIjatlhchu'!

> >Can we say:
> >"How is it built? I want to know that!"
> >{chay' chenlu'}