tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 21:32:03 1997

Re: "you will die without honor"

ja' Qermaq:
>I write this example off as a non-grammatical unique little variant
>construction. I cannot accept changing the basic rules governing
>interpretation of verb suffixes based on one canonic example which shows
>variation.

law' chovnatlh.
I don't think it's all that unique.

TKD Appendix: {tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhlaHbe'} "I don't speak Klingon."
The concept being negated is "can speak Klingon".  I'm pretty sure this is
not saying anything about "cannot-speaking" the Klingon language -- which
would perhaps involve being compelled to be quiet when Klingon is involved?

Power Klingon: {Qo'noSDaq vay' vISovbe'} "I don't know anyone on Kronos."
This is clearly negating the concept "know someone on Kronos".  It doesn't
have anything to do with "not-knowing" someone.  Perhaps it is ambiguous,
but the meaning carried by {-be'} can obviously be applied to the *entirety*
of what it follows, not just the immediately preceding morpheme.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level