tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 23 11:54:03 1997

Re: KBLC: ah-ha!

charghwI'vo':
Just to add my opinions to the good discussion on this so far.

According to [email protected]:

> In einer eMail vom 22.10.97 09:59:26 CETDST, ghItlh Qov:
>
> > Tell me what you think? I'd say: {nuq DaQub?  HIja'}  "What do you think?
> >  Tell me."  Notice the imperative prefix {HI-} (command, you - me).  Yes
> this
> >  looks like the word "yes" but it isn't.
> >

> I've been thinking about this a lot, but if you say {HIja'} (tell me)
> wouldn't "me" be the thing being told?
> {lut vIja'} I tell a story  [story I-it tell]
> {lut qaja'} I tell you a story  [story I-you tell]
> {qaja'} I tell you  [I-you tell]
>
> eh... vISovbe' jIH

I agree with Qov and most others on this. If you were using
{ja'} in direct quotation, it would be different. Meanwhile
{lut} is not the literal word you are telling. It is a noun
representing the words that you tell.

lut HIja' qaja'.  I told you, "Tell me a story."

wej puqvaD lut luja' wej loD. Three men told three children a
story. Note the {lu-}, since the object is singular. The three
children are indirect objects. Indirect objects can be
indicated by the prefix under certain circumstances (when the
indirect object is first or second person and the direct object
is null or third person). Other times, indirect object is
indicated by {-vaD}.

> muHwI'
> Stardate 97809.5

Back to archive top level