tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 19 09:09:32 1997

Re: KLBC: Some phrases.

ghItlh Qov:

>{tlhInganpu'vaD Qo'noS} this is a sentence fragment as much as the
>English is, but it could be taken as part of any
>expression like {tlhInganpu'vaD Qo'noS wIneH/wIchoq/wIpol/wIHub ...}
>so it seems perfectly acceptable.

The very first Klingon canon I ever learned - <nuqDaq yuch Dapol?> - tells
me (at least; perhaps others too?) <pol> means something different than what
you imply above. Seems to me it implies volition on the part of the subject
as to the location of the object. Your use seems to translate another sense
of "save" or "keep" where we are maintaining a usage which began before the
fact. More like "Keep Christmas with you" or "Keep on truckin'".

To say "Keep Qo'noS for Klingons" what about <tlhIngan neH yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'
'e' yIteHchoHmoH> or <... 'e' yIteHqa'moH>? Not great for a bumper sticker.
I am also grasping for a verb which means "Make it so" - perhaps this is the
best we can do? (teHbe'jaj!)

Oh - using -jaj gives me another idea... <tlhIngan neH yuQ 'oHjaj
Qo'noS'e'>?

chaq?

Qermaq

Back to archive top level