tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 17 09:24:30 1997

Re: KLBC: jIcheghta' - 'ay' wa'DIch

At 19:13 97-10-13 -0700, maqlIy wrote:
}jIcheghta'.
}I have returned.  (Just when you thought you were rid of me. {{: )  )

bIchegh 'e' wIpaybe'

}'Itlh Dup vIHaDmeH vIwIvlu'pu'.
}I was chosen to study advanced strategy.
A stative verb acting as an adjective *follows* the noun.

Dup 'Itlh - advanced strategy
'Itlh Dup - the strategy is advanced

}vaSDaq jIpawta'pa' nI' poHvaD jIlengnIS.
}I had to travel for a long time before I arrived at the assembly hall.

The suffix {-vaD} is sometimes translated as "for" but it means for in the
sense of "intended for"  "for the purpose of."  To say "for <a period of
time>" the Klingon expression is {qastaHvIS <period of time>}, literally
"while <period of time> was/is/will be occurring."

And again the verb describing the noun must follow the noun. {poH nI'} "a
long time".

vaSDaq jIpawta'pa' qaStaHvIS poH nI' jIlengnIS.

}vaS luDech HuD'a'mey.
}Great mountains surrounded the hall.
}tuj pem 'ej bIr ram.
}The days were hot and the nights were cold.
}yInSIp Hutlhlaw' muD.
}The atmosphere seemed to lack oxygen.  (ie. The air was thin.  Maybe "puj muD
}- the atmosphere was weak" would be an equivalent idiom?)
chaq.  wISovbe' neH.  chaq {jeDHa' muD}

}tlhuHlaHmeH  SuvnIS  law' SuvwI'pu'.
}Many warriors had to struggle to breathe.
As long as you follow your description of the atmosphere with a sentence
like this one, your meaning will be clear.

Once again: stative verb should *follow* the noun it describes.  {SuvwI'pu'
law'}.

}(I was going to use ghob until I checked p. 47 of KGT.  Now I'm not sure
}there is a verb for fighting without a sentient opponent.  How can you say
}"battle the elements", "fight injustice", or "struggle for survival"?)

KGT page 47 indicates that {ghob} and {Suv} can take as objects the {may'}
or {noH} fought, but the title of the piece of artwork {ghobchuq loDnI'pu'}
indicates that ghob can take a combattant as an object, too.

}I'll save part two until you've had a chance to deal with this.

This was sitting in my mailbox unqueued.  Hpoe you haven't been aiting too
impatiently for it.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level