tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 16 09:43:30 1997

Re: KLBC:Scoltand

At 16:55 97-10-10 PDT, Carolyn wrote:

}ScotlandDaq bogh be'nI'wI' ghaH'e' !
}My sister was born in Scotland!

The {ghaH'e'} is quite unnecessary here.  I think you're attempting a 'to
be' construction, but {bogh} means "be born" so the 'to be' concept is
already contained.

ScotlandDaq bogh be'nI'wI'

}nuq 'oH jabbI'IDwI' ponglIj 'e'?
}What is your e-mail address?

"What is my intelligent transmission's your name?"

The {-wI'} suffix on a noun means that the noun is an intelligent being
possesed, well, associated, with you. I wouldn't understand {jabbI'ID pong}
"transmission's name" as e-mail address.  I've seen {jabbI'ID Quv}.  For
this sentence I'd probably say:

jabbI'IDwIj DaHevmeH nuqDaq vIlI'nIS?
Where do I need to transmit my message in order for you to receive it?

}SIqotIS ghelIq Hol bIjatlhlaHbe''a'?
}You don't speak Scottish Gaelic?

We usually don't transliterate foreign words.  Write *Scotish Gaelic* (or
write the name of the language in Gaelic). Just say a foreign concept in the
language the word is from.  Since you are asking the person if they speak
*something* the something is the object of the verb jatlh, and you must use
the second person singualr subject-third person object verb prefix, {Da-}

S.G. Hol DajatlhlaHbe''a'?  - Can't you speak S.G?

}SIqotIS ghelIq Hol jIjatlhlaHbe'.
}I don't speak Scottish Gaelic.

Same prefix note.  {vIjatlhlaHbe'}  {jI-} implies no object, {vI-} take s
the object {S.G. Hol}

}ghelIq Hol be'nI'wI  jatlhlaHbe' je.
}My sister doesn't speak Gaelic also.

Word order a little confused here.  You want: Object - Verb - Subject.  Your
sister id the subject, the one who doesn't do the understanding, so the ord
for sister must follow the verb.

{G. Hol jatlhlaHbe' je be'nI'wI'}  - My sister dousn't speak G. either.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level