tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 16 05:36:33 1997

Re: Read Last

'oghpu' muHwI':
>Maybe two (of them) sell either a city, a zero, a hand or a glove:

ja' Qov:
>BTW in English the word "either" can only be used when there are two
>choices.  For more than two we say "one of."

I know how much you hate being nitpicked, but "either" as a conjunction
can go with any number of things connected by "or".  It's when one uses
"either" as an *adjective* that it refers to one of exactly two things.
For more than two, "one" works fine; "any" can be used instead.

"Either a quarter, a nickel, or a dime is sufficient."  This is fine,
as is muHwI's English sentence above.

"You may choose either side."  This implies only two sides are available.
"You may choose one side/any side."  These have no such restriction.

DaH tlhIngan Hol jabbI'IDghomraj motlhDaq machegh.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level