tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 21:07:14 1997

Re: KLBC: Questions with <'e'>

jIja'pu':
>...Okrand's examples commonly put adverbials *after* {'e'}.

ja' SuStel:
>Make that "example" (singular).  I believe there has been only one.

True enough.  Among the official publications, I'm aware only of Skybox
card S26, "Lursa and B'Etor", whose first sentence is:

  DuraS tuq tlhIngan yejquv patlh luDub 'e' reH lunIDtaH DuraS be'nI'pu'
  lurSa' be'etor je.

[I'm a bit frustrated trying to locate the real reason for my "commonly"
comment.  I can't find it at the moment, but I'm reasonably sure one of
Okrand's more casual works -- a response on the MSN forum that was copied
here -- also put an adverbial between {'e'} and the verb.  But this could
easily be a faulty memory on my part, as the list archives aren't helping
me out any.]

>And the  rest of the sentence it is in is highly funky.

I wouldn't say an "aspect suffix on the second verb of a sentence-as-object"
error makes the sentence "highly funky".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level