tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 15 10:15:55 1997

Re: Lachrimosa?

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> I know the [stative] verb {Sum} only as "be near".  Your use of it here
seems
> to try to make the whole sentence translate as "But be very careful if you
> are near a crying Klingon."  Is this what you mean?

We don't know yet exactly how this verb works, or its counterpart, {Hop}.  As
far as I can tell, they are verbs of quality, and do not take objects.

I'd say this as

SaQtaHchugh tlhIngan Sum yIyepqu'.

> But, we know we can use the construction of {matay'taHvIS}.  This leads me
> believe we could also say {Sumchuqchugh SoQbogh tlhIngan SoH je vaj
> yIyepqu'}.

{Sumchuq} also assumes {Sum} can take an object.  {-chuq} indicates that the
plural subject is also the object.  If you don't accept objects on {Sum}, you
shouldn't accept {Sumchuq} or {Sum'egh}.

SuStel
Stardate 97787.3

Back to archive top level