tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 14 21:55:14 1997

Re: humanoids

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, qoror wrote:
|ghItlh Qov
|>They both have the same definition.  I don't believe {ghot} has ever been
|>used in canon and I'm not sure about {nuv}.
|
|{ghot} was in TKW: {reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je}, if I remember correctly.  But
|there doesn't seem to be a distinction.

lugh qoror. I posted the canon on these over the weekend, but since my post
hasn't shown up yet in my mailbox, I'll post it again...

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Voragh wrote:
|ghot "person (humanoid)":
|  ghotpu' tamey
|  Personnel Files (ST:Communicator #104)
|
|  reH tay' ghot tuqDaj je.
|  One is always of his tribe.  (TKW)
|  (lit. "A person and his house are always together.")
|
|nuv "person (humanoid)":
|  butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'.
|  Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. (TKW)
|
|And while we're on the topic, here are some related words:
|yoq "humanoid":
|  yoq yIn yuQ 'oH Qo'noS'e'
|  Qo'noS is a class-M planet  (S27)
|Dep "being (nonhumanoid)":
|  Not attested.
|HoSDo' "energy beings" (pl. only?)
|  Not attested.
|Dol "entity":
|  Some people use this in the sense of "lifeform."  TKW however shows this
|  is more like a "unity" or "a whole":
|     wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap.
|     We succeed together in a greater whole.

Are {ghot} and {nuv} used in KGT?  So far, I can't discern any distinction
between the two terms.

Voragh

Back to archive top level