tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 07 23:57:01 1997

Re: East, West

<< maq peHruS:
 >At least I have found out how to say "southwest":
 >voSpegh Sep lurgh vIghoS
 >And, "east" is:
 >Sa'Qej Sep lurgh vIghoS

 veng wa'DIchvo' neH bIghoSchugh lugh lurghmeyvam.
 Qotmagh Sepvo' bIlengchugh, muj.
 tera'Daq SoHtaHchugh, mujchu'!

   These terms would only work if you started your trip from the First
   City on Kronos.  They're useless if you want to tell someone how to
   get from Indianapolis to Dayton.

peHruS jIH
I did not say enough.  Yes, these directions work only from specific starting
points.

In Hawaiian we merely say "toward the mountains", "toward the ocean".  Again,
the starting point of the speaker is quite important.

Thanks for pointing this out.

peHruS

Back to archive top level