tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 20:08:16 1997

Re: KBLC (&AOL'ers please reply)

<< Subj:	 Re: KBLC (&AOL'ers please reply)
 Date:	97-10-03 13:07:00 EDT
 From:	[email protected] (David Trimboli)
 Sender:	[email protected]
 Reply-to:	[email protected]
 To:	[email protected] (Multiple recipients of list)

 [email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
 > }qaSuj'a' ?  chay' ?
 > }Am I disturbing you?  What's going on?
 >
 > {qaStaH nuq} - "What is happening" is
 > better for a general enquiry.

 This is true.  However, remember that in English walking up to someone and
 saying "What's up?" (or, in some places, "'Sup?") or anything like it is
 usually just a generic thing to say.  You're not at all interested in what
is
 up, what is happening at that moment, or even the health of the person you
are
 speaking to.

 In Klingon, however, when you approach another, you immediately state your
 business.  If you don't, the other person may grow impatient and say
{nuqneH}
 "Whaddya want?"  But neither {nuqneH} nor {qaStaH nuq} are used as
 general-purpose greetings as they are in English.  Speak to the purpose.

 "What's up?"
 "It's a direction defined as being antiparallel to the direction of force of
 gravitational field."

 SuStel
 Stardate 97756.9 >>
----

Thanks, but my intent was not "what's up?" as in a greeting, but "what's
going on?" as in "why am I sending this inquiry?"

I recently purchased TKD, KGT, TKW, and both tapes... I plan to get better
and (for Qov) more original.  Wish me...
Qapla'
QatanI

PS  I added you to my AOL buddy list.

Back to archive top level