tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 03 10:02:52 1997

Re: KBLC (&AOL'ers please reply)

[email protected] on behalf of Qov wrote:
> }qaSuj'a' ?  chay' ?
> }Am I disturbing you?  What's going on?
>
> {qaStaH nuq} - "What is happening" is
> better for a general enquiry.

This is true.  However, remember that in English walking up to someone and
saying "What's up?" (or, in some places, "'Sup?") or anything like it is
usually just a generic thing to say.  You're not at all interested in what is
up, what is happening at that moment, or even the health of the person you are
speaking to.

In Klingon, however, when you approach another, you immediately state your
business.  If you don't, the other person may grow impatient and say {nuqneH}
"Whaddya want?"  But neither {nuqneH} nor {qaStaH nuq} are used as
general-purpose greetings as they are in English.  Speak to the purpose.

"What's up?"
"It's a direction defined as being antiparallel to the direction of force of a
gravitational field."

SuStel
Stardate 97756.9
(Add me to your Buddy List if you like.  My AOL screen name is DTrimboli.)

Back to archive top level