tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 11:59:16 1997

Re: fractions ?

At 03:20 97-11-27 -0800, AA wrote:
}  Philippe Lavoie <[email protected]> wrote:-
}> How do you represent fractions ? I've learned that qelI'qam represents
}> roughly 2 kilometers. If I want to say "go 1.5 kilometer north" therefore, I
}> need to know how to represent 0.75 (3/4). Should I use this syntax ? three
}> fourth? wej loSDich or 75 hundreth? SochmAh vagh wa'vatlhDich
}
}Or should I avoid creating arithmetic problems and simply say that a {tera'
}qelI'qam} is a mile? In metric countries if 1 q. = 2 km, multiplying and
}dividing by 2 are fairly easy.

The original sentence said "about two kiliometres."  A qelI'qam is about two
kilometres. No need to translate the measurement at a higher level of
precision than the original measurement.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level