tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 01:09:56 1997

Re: fractions ?

Philippe Lavoie writes:

> How do you represent fractions ?

We use percentages, because we don't know how to use fractions.

> I've learned that qelI'qam represents roughly 2 kilometers. If I
> want to say
>
>> go 1.5 kilometer north
>
> therfore, I need to know how to represent 0.75 (3/4).
> Should I use this syntax ? three fourth ? wej loSDich
 or 75 hundreth ? SochmAh vagh wa'vatlhDich

SochmaH vatlhvI'

I don't remember seeing percentages used in the canon, but
{qelI'qam SochmaH vatlhvI'} means "a kellicam's 75 percent" or "75
percent of a kellicam."   But maybe we use it like a number {SochmaH
vatlhvI' qelI'qam} "75 percent qeliqams."  I suspect the former.

Similarly, we have a word for "half" but we don't know whether we use it like a
number or like an ordinary noun.

{?bID qelI'qam} "a half qelI'qam " (cf. {wa' qelI'qam})
or
{?qelI'qam bID} "half of a kellicam" (cf. {qelI'qam botlh})

And, by the way, if you want to make sure that I read your message,
and that others hold off answering until I have answered, put the
letters "KLBC" (Klingon Language Beginner's Contribution) at the
beginning of the subject line.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level