tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 27 01:09:44 1997

Re: understanding {-moH} (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

At 21:15 97-11-23 -0800, DloraH wrote:
}Qov wrote:
}>...Like if you said "Where can I repair my toaster" you would
}>be understood to be looking for a small appliance repair shop, not a flat
}>counter and a screwdriver.
}
}Not around here.  If myself or anyone in my family said that, we would be
}looking for "a flat counter and a screwdriver".  I would use -lu' in that
}sentance.

The point I was trying to make as that I would have used {-lu'} in the canon
sentence, so therefore it must be so blatantly obvious that you don't clean
your own shoes that it need not be stated.  Either that or {-lu'} is
inappropriate here due to some unknown vaguary of Klingon grammar.  Seek
your own example of something you wouldn't consider doing yourself.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level