tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 26 11:09:57 1997

KLBC Plurals

Since one of my previous posts (the one in which I didn't know wether
to use {porghmey} or {porghDu'}), I've been thinking about plurals.

For example, a computer is a thing, so we use {De'wI'mey}. But some
computers (e.g., the Enterprise computer) ARE capable of using
language. Should we use {De'wI'pu'} in that case?

Similarly, Data is an android, who uses language, but who is not a
(biological) lifeform. (Ok, ok, some might say Data IS a lifeform,
and that that's enough reason to use {-pu'}...) Should we use
{qoqpu'}? (Or maybe, {ghot qoqpu'} or {yoq qoqpu'})

Then, we have {lom}, which also refers to a body. I suppose it'll get
the same suffix as {porgh} does, however I still don't know which
one.

And if we exaggerate a little, {yab} is a bodypart and therefore gets
{-Du'}. But it also is the part of the body which is responsible for
language, and which uses it (while thinking in a particular language,
or speaking (with help from the mouth :) and reading (with help from
the eyes) and listening to someone else (...ears)), so maybe in some
(perhaps poetical) circumstances we might use {-pu'}. (Or, of course,
when some psychotic murderer has done his job, we might even use
{yabmey} }}:-)

I don't think you shoeld take this post to seriously, I was just
semi-seriously trying to have fun with the language.

/Doneq
______
jeghbe' tlhInganpu'

Back to archive top level