tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 25 20:07:42 1997

Re: No indefinite articles

[email protected] writes:
>okay how would you distinguish between thease two sentences without a and the
>
>What is an object
>what is the object.

I'm not sure what you mean by "object" here.  I'm also not sure what you
intend in the second sentence, and these seem more like questions than
statements.  I'll choose a more concrete noun than "object" to show how
I'd translate them as questions.

{nuq 'oH naH'e'?} "What is a fruit?"
More literally, "As for a fruit, it is what?"

Without further context, I'd say:

{nuq 'oH naHvetlh?} "What is that fruit?" or
{nuq 'oH naHDaj?} "What is its fruit?"

If the existence of a particular fruit had already been established, then
{nuq 'oH naH'e'?} "What is the fruit?" works just fine.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level