tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 25 10:08:20 1997

Re: understanding {-lu'} (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

On 24 Nov 97 at 1:07, [email protected] wrote:

> I still maintain that {-lu'} is not the English-type "passive
> voice."  The Klingon way of thinking is that it is an indication of
> an indefinite subject.
>  The passive voice construction usually still indicates who the
>  subject is by
> adding ".... by the subject."  For example, "The enemy officer was
> killed by the Klingon soldiers."  The tlhIngan Hol {-lu'} suffix can
> only go so far as to express "The enemy officer was killed."  We do
> not have a module for "... by the Klingon soldiers."

While that English sentence cannot be expressed in one Klingon
sentence using {-lu'} it can be expressed by two Klingon sentences
(or a compound sentence, if you will) of the following form: "The
enemy officer was killed. The Klingon soldiers did that".  Right?

Qapla'
peSHIr

Jarno Peschier, computer science student, Utrecht University
   mailto:[email protected]    http://jarno.home.ml.org/
    'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej

Back to archive top level