tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 24 03:57:27 1997

so-called Romulan ale

  If some meat is sold as {Qa'} and it actually is {Sargh}, then it is
{Qa'qoq}. No query here.
  But when in matter about the 1914-1918 war I read of "the so-called Spanish
Flu, which actually was first detected in the USA", a query arose. If some ale
is sold as Romulan ale but it actually comes from Morska, then it is
"so-called Romulan ale"; but in Klingon where does the -qoq go?
  Try {romuluS HIqqoq}; despite its origin it at least is not HIqqoq but HIq:
genuine ale, not "so-called ale".
  Try {romuluSqoq HIq}; "ale from so-called Romulus"; this seems to say that I
do not recognize the State of Romulus, which is not my intended meaning.
  Try more wordily {romulIuSvo' qenglu'boghqoq HIq'e'}; "ale which was
so-called-carried from Romulus"; but I can't use -qoq on verbs.

Back to archive top level