tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 22 14:54:17 1997

Re: KLBC: QAO lut

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Qov wrote:
> At 15:49 97-11-18 -0800, 'olIva' wrote:
> } <qatlh SuD chal 'e' vISov neH vIneH!>
> } "I just want to know that why is the sky blue?!"
> I would have put the {neH} after the {vIneH}, as I parse it as merely
> anting, not wanting to merely know.

I thought of it as "I just want _to know X_" (but I don't want e.g. a
qutluch between my ribs), rather than "I just _want_ to know X" (but I
don't e.g. _need_ to).

Would <X 'e' neH vISov vIneH> be grammatically correct?
As in "I want to know just X."

> } <toH!> jach tlhIngan wa'DIch. <bIHegh 'e' Dawuqpu'!>
> } "So!" exclaims the third Klingon. "You have decided to die!"
> There is a much-ignored rule forbidding the use of aspect suffixes on a verb
> whose object is {'e'}.

How about:
<bIHegh 'e' Dawuq!> or
<Dawuqpu'! bIHegh!> ?

> }<reH lugh charghwI'!!!>
> }"The victor is always right!!!"
> jIHaghqu'.  lut vIpolbej.

DaparHa' 'e' vIparHa'!
(A feeble attempt to say "I'm glad you liked it.")

> cha'logh mu'tlhegh Qav yajnISlu', qar'a'? :-)

qarbej. :-) "Excercise for reader" 'oH mu'tlhegh Qav *meaning*
cha'DIch'e'. (An even more feeble attempt.)

> }How does one distinguish between the following?
> }
> }he/she just knows	Sov neH
> }he/she wants to know	Sov neH
> The verb can be distingushed with a suffix, like {Sov neHba'} or {Sov neHqu'}
> I'd have to say something like {Dujmo' Sov neH} to disambiguate the other.

qatlho'.

> wejpuH has the same meaning as the English word charming, when the latter is
> used ironically.  Perhaps there is another translation, like "pathetic" or
> "disgusting" or ... I can't quite find the right word. You knew what the
> Klingon meant when he said "Charming" in the movie.

jIqawbe'. ghaH vIbejnISqa'.

Hmm. Does <vIbejnISqa'> mean that it is the _needing_ that is being
resumed, rather than the watching?

> Qov     [email protected]

'olIva'

| Oliver PEREIRA  | [email protected]    ***VIVU ESPERANTO!***  |
| Selwyn College, | See the Cambridge Esperanto Group's web page at  |
| Cambridge       | http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/etg10/keg/         |
| CB3 9DQ         | It's really good! (Because I didn't write it.)   |