tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 22 09:06:12 1997

Re: understanding {-moH} (was Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch)

>nuqDaq waqwIj vIlamHa'choHmoH

Analyzed:

Where?   shoes-my   I/it,them-be dirty-undo-become-cause

Ok - <-Ha'> undoes the action of the verb, so <lamHa'> means "be un-dirty".
There is no <-lu'>, so the verb prefix acts normally for subject - "I" is
the subject. <-moH> is present, however, but since the base verb is a verb
of quality, there can be no object. Therefore, the "it" implied by <vI-> is
in reference to the agent which is caused to act the verb, the thing which
becomes clean. <-choH> gives the sense that the action is a new state.
Therefore, logically, the translation must be "Where can I cause my shoes to
become no longer dirty?" And that is darn close to "Where can I get my shoes
cleaned?".

(I think <Say'> might have worked well here too; even though the <-Ha'> is
lost, the <-choH> gives that sense anyway...)

Qermaq

Back to archive top level