tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 21 20:25:12 1997

Re: KLBC: QAO lut

At 12:13 97-11-21 -0800, SuStel wrote:
}From: Qov <[email protected]>
}
}>It works for me, and we have canon in that a duel second is known as a
}>{cha'DIch}.  That suggests that the ordinal numbers can be treated as
}>nouns--and SuStel has just pointed out in another thread that Okrand stated
}>explicitly that numbers can be subjects and
}
}I pointed this out?  I don't believe I was even involved in the numbers as
}subject thread (though my memory has been otherwise occupied as of late).

Maybe it was ghunchu'wI'.  DachtaH yabwIj'e'.
}
}You did not finish this sentence either.  Hmmm.

vIqontaHvIS vay' vIqop 'e' vIHar.  chaq rInpa' mu'tlheghvetlh nargh 'e' nID
qama'wI'.

}As for {cha'DIch}, it is possible that this is a very restricted use.  It
}*is* used in a very traditional sort of way, and there's no way to know if
}it may, perhaps, be a shortened version of something longer (second
}<something>, maybe).  I wouldn't go and assume that all ordinal numbers are
}normally used as nouns without more evidence.
}
}Second *what*, anyway?

The real life explanation is that they simply looked up and used the
translation of the English term second, for supporter in a duel.

chaq SuvwI' cha'DIch ghaH.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level