tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 20 21:47:53 1997

Re: KLBC tlhIngan yot - 'ay' cha'DIch

At 16:18 97-11-18 -0800, Qermaq wrote:
}ghItlh Qov:
}
}>It's easiest to understand if you look at the {-moH} verb that we
}>have our own word for, instead of having to use "makes" or "causes"
}>to translate.
}There's a simpler explanation. If a transitive verb takes <-moH>, the true
}object, unmarked by <-vaD>, is the actual object of the verb, and the
}'beneficiary' (I prefer 'agent' in this context) is that which is caused to
}act the verb, and is marked with <-vaD>. "I made the Ferengi eat the
}pickle." becomes <verenganvaD Hurgh vISopmoH>. The object of 'eat' is
}'pickle', and the agent the subject compels to act the verb is 'Ferengi'.
}
}"I make you understand the information," however, is weirder. This is
}properly <De' qayajmoH>. Why? Because the agent is a pronoun. One could say
}<SoHvaD De' vIyajmoH> but this seems to stress the YOU in the sentence more
}than is usually intended. (I used <vI-> since the object here is
}"information". I used <qa-> before since there's canon I can't recall which
}allows this usage when dealing with a pronoun as the agent.) "I make Torg
}understand the information" is still <torghvaD De' vIyajmoH>, though.
}
}At least that's how I've come to understand it. SuStel, do I FINALLY have
}it? :o)

qech DuyajmoHchugh pat, pat yIlo'.  HochvaD qech yajmoHlaHbe'law' wa' pat.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level