tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 16:29:19 1997

Re: peDtaH 'ej jIQuch

ja' peHruS:
><< > wa'maH cha' Hu' peDchoH muD.
> > peDtaHqu' 'e' buq chal.
> > loQ taDchoH Hemey. >>
>Interesting usages.
>
>First:  peDchoH muD, giving {muD} as the Subject of the "snowing".  Caught my
>eye.

peDbej muD'e'.  muDvo' narghba' qutHom chIS.
'ej mInlIj baHpu' 'Iv? :-)

>Second:  taDchoH Hemey, giving {He} as the Subject of "freezing".  Was it the
>road which was freezing or some waterous substance thereupon?

taD He'e'.  Whether it was the road itself or something on its surface,
the *course* I intended to travel was becoming frozen.  I did not mean
for the word {He} to mean literally "road"; that's not its definition.

>Third:  {buq} does not have to have a solid Object.

nuqjatlh?  A sentence referred to by {'e'} sure looks like an object to me.

>The Object may be "It was going to keep snowing a lot."

It "may" be?  That sure looks like the same idea as my {peDtaHqu'}.

>This also nicely covers the lack of a Klingon infinitive.

I don't understand what this is saying at all.  What "this" are you talking
about, and what do you mean by "covers"?

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level