tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 11:48:09 1997

Re: maHagh tlhInganpu' (was:Klingon words for "subject"...)

First, allow me to apologize for my overzealous use of the word "can't," in
things like "you can't do that."  I am not trying to say that I make the
laws.  However, I am very, very certain that I am correct, and constantly
putting disclaimers in my writing to the effect that I may be wrong but I
don't think so is, in my opinion, a waste of time.

One of the most important reasons that I admire the Klingon culture and
language is the fact that you get straight to the point and not bother
dilly-dallying with irrelevant rituals and details.  I tend to think and act
this way myself (believe me, I am a real bore at polite social
occasions--it's just people standing around and talking about nothing at
all!).  I can only bear to write "I don't think" so many times.

So remember, if I make statements which sound like I'm passing judgement and
making law, that is not my intention.  I prefer to reserve "I don't think"
for times when I have significant doubts about the matter at hand, not for
when I'm very certain but acknowledge that there is a tiny chance that the
situation is otherwise.  I recognize all others' rights to disagree with me,
and to argue if they wish or remain silent if they wish, and I will continue
to respect you even if we disagree on everything.  And no, I will not put a
Klingon translation of "The above represents my opinions only" in my
signature.  :)

Now that the human disclaimer is out of the way, let's get back to the
Klingon mindset!