tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 19 09:52:34 1997

Re: KLBC: insulting

I REALLY wish people would stop trying to make sense out of the
pieces of Klingon words. I mean, what does "restaurant" have to
do with "rest"ing or "rant"ing? And what does a "tower" have to
do with debt? It does have the word "owe" in it, after all.

Care to explain the etymology which brought the words "fat" and
"her" together to form the word "father"? One supposes it would
be a similar explanation for a similar word beginning with the
word "mat".

And is the root word for disheveled "sheveled" or "heveled"? I
don't really remember either one used very frequently without
the prefix.

Sometimes a word is just a word. The pieces which appear to
combine to form the word often have absolutely nothing to do
with the larger word. Deal with it.

charghwI'

According to Anthony.Appleyard:

>   [email protected] wrote:-
> > When I say to somebody {taHqeq} this is like saying "Idiot!" (I won't
> > translate the real meaning here).
> > If I want to say "He is an idiot" can I just go {taHqeq ghaH} ?
>
>   Some of the insults look strange if I treat them as the sum of their parts:-
>   Qu'vatlh : {Qu' vatlh} = the 200th duty/quest/mission/task/chore
>     Did this start as a complaint about overwork?
>   QI'yaH - N:military V:be_taken_away* ; - N:military N:duty_station
>   petaQ - PP:impv_pl/- V:be_weird
>   taHqeq - V:continue V:[practise|train|prepare]
>   yIntagh - N:life_support_system; - N:life N:lung
>     What is insulting about calling someone a "life-support system"? Did this
> strange homophony arise from a retro-fit after the studio altered a speech?
>   toDSaH - V:[save|rescue] V:[be_present|care_about|be_concerned_about]
>     Ditto similarly.

Back to archive top level