tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 18 13:23:39 1997

Re: German "TKD" and its problems

(please read until the end, vor allem die Deutschen)

I just bought DOW because I couldn't stand not knowing about what you're
talking.
I wanted to know if it's really that bad. No, it is not. It's worse.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

This book looks like it has been made during ten minutes. chaq mughtaHvIS
chech mughwI'?
It starts on the first page already! (learn to speak...)

word       pronunciation
{nuqneH} = *noqneq*
{Do'Ha'} = *Do-qa*
{jIyajbe'} = *yIyaybe*
{pIch vIghajbe'} = *pIH vIghaybe*
{HIjol} = *qI'yol*
He did not change the pronunciation explanation in the expression section,
which was made for english speaking people (like NOOK in english is
pronounced nuq, but not in German). Instead he explained how to read the
rough pronunciation! He said: "OO is said like u"; "Y is like german Ei" etc.
The worst part of the book is "useful klingon expresions". Just look at this:

tlhIngan Hol vliatlhHbe'
*nIn 'arwLghaj*
*qo'*
*hijol*
*duj zIvoqtaH*
*qalpa'*
*ha'DLbaH*
*[...] qtbogh loD*
*naDev vo'yIghoS*
*ghtlh vIghtlhla'bogh DalaD'a'*
Last and least: *nuq Daq yuch Dapol*
No errors? What about the translation? Where have you put my chocolate?
Or look at this: qumwI'wIj vItu'mIv vam Confused? look at the line after this
one.

Maybe you have noticed that there are no { ' } around here. Right. almost the
whole book uses accents as glottal stop!!! { ' } In some parst of the book
there are apostrophes. (?)

the prefix {0} for no object is an "o"

*qatkh*: guess what this is.(hint: on the german keyboard, the K is next to
the L)

6.2.1: {jISoptaH 'ach QongtaH} "I'm eating, but s/he is eating". Aha. The
previous line is correct.

5.4: {wej} "not yet" is translated as "nicht jetzt"=not now (faux ami!)

J is next to H, so we get *ghjaytan*. Z is next toT, so we get *SutlhzaHvIS*

I think the translator does not know klingon, since he took over the "gan"
typo from the addendum!

I could keep on writing examples, but my mail would become way too long,
because I would have to copy the whole book. There are more typos in this
book than I ever did in all my emails I ever wrote alltogether. Apperently
the translator does not speak Klingon and I'm not sure if he speaks english
fluently. if you do a mistake copying the word De' vIlI'lI' I can understand
it, but if there are so many mistakes, just because nobody has proof-read it,
there is no excuse. The publisher of this book could have done better,
they've made other StarTrek books, and they were okay. If they've waited so
long to translate TKD, why didn't they wait a few weeks longer to make a good
DOW? Also the layout of the book is awful. In TKD you can find a typo once in
a while, but DOW has a mistake on alsmost every page! They center a word,
then it is on the left, some are bold, some are not, etcetera. The biggest
&"%/  they did was all those accents instead of an apostrophe. IT HURTS YOUR
EYES WHEN YOU SEE THIS! Parts are made with apostrophe, some ar made with
accent. Why??? It really looks like a ten-year old made it.

A good advice: If you are able to understand this advice, you know enough
english to use TKD. Don't buy DOW. Don't buy DOW! DON'T GET DOW EVEN IF IT
WERE FOR FREE. It's better to speak bad Klingon than very bad klingon!

P.S.: How is "Die Ehre der Klingonen"? (TKW)
(I don't like the color)

muHwI'
IKV Fek'lhr
Dark Vengeance Fleet