tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 17 17:59:56 1997

Re: German "TKD" and its problems

> Yes, indeed. The translation is really strange and seems to be made
> by someone who is (by far) not good in german language. The

I tend to think he is lacking in English - some strange sounding
constructs may be due to his being a Swiss

> translations are THAT BAD. If you know "bavarian english" then you
> know, what happend backwards. I do not recall the real errors, but
> they are in the league of (constructed example, reason as above)

[example snipped]

a "real" example is {DaS} "boot (n)" has become "entlassen, hinauswerfen"
i.e. "to kick sb. out, to give sb. the boots" which isn't even a noun
anymore :( we're probably lucky it hasn't been translated as "Boot"
i.e. "boat" ...

> as they seem to have translated parts of words independently. Brrrr
> (*shiver*). With errors in that category my disappointment about the
> addendum not being included into the text got a new quality.

yes, I was disappointed by that too!

> Some of our members (of Khemorex Klinzhai) are currently (o.k., since
> 2 years with some stops) working on an all-new translation of
> vocabulary lists. A german course in going into its 9th (?) lesson,
> and we intend to do the rest of the grammar later. All that stuff is
> for internal use (our universities' and language group's course) only
> and thus out of reach of Paramount {{:-)

let's hope so...

> But if you need any help about the english/german you can ask me - I
> know I am a quite quiet listener to this group, but I'll try to keep
> an eye on that (please add a note about this into the subject).

I'll be here, too

HomDoq

Back to archive top level