tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 14 10:09:30 1997

Re: Type 7 suffix and {-jaj}

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
Date: Friday, November 14, 1997 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: Type 7 suffix and {-jaj}

>In einer eMail vom 14.11.97 16:37:25 MEZ, ghItlh SuStel:
>>  If verbs with {-jaj} never take an aspect suffix (TKD pp. 175-6), how
come
>>  we can say {wo' DevtaHjaj ghawran} (KGT p. 26)?
>
>I understand
>{Devjaj} - "may he lead"
>{DevtaHjaj} - "may he be leading", "may he always lead"
>
>Perhabs this was another error MO did, maybe he meant that it doesn't make
>sense to say "may you have scared your enemies". And then he forget that it
>does make sense to say "may you be <verb>ing"...(??)

yuQDaq jISaqDI" jagh Duj DaQaw'ta'jaj
When I land on the planet, I hope that you will have destroyed the enemy
ship.

It makes sense, but it's apparently forbidden.  I don't yet see any reason
that Type 7 suffixes shouldn't be allowed other than "that's just the way it
is."

>another example:
>{taHjaj boq} (TKD p. 173)

This isn't the same thing.  Here, {taH} is a verb, not a suffix.

SuStel
Stardate 97872.0

Back to archive top level