tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 13 02:20:31 1997

verb suffixes in comparative clauses?; male animals

  "William H. Martin" <[email protected]> answered A.Appleyard:-
> >  "In my herd, kill and clean the male targh which is fattest": but in
> >  {... targh'e' pI' law' Hoch pI' pus ...}
> I'd probably just use {pov}:
> pI'bogh targh pov yIHoH.
> I would not try to combine a comparative and a relative clause.

  Perhaps this time. But sometimes we do need a comparative in a relative
clause. Put this in the {OkrandvaD yu'ghachmey tetlh}?

> > The noun {loD} is "male, man", but what is the adjective "male" of an
> > animal? {loD 'oHbogh targh'e'}??

> We simply don't know. This would likely work. We don't even know whether
> Klingons CARE about the gender of animals. In terms of language, they barely
> care about the gender of PEOPLE.

  But Klingon animal breeders MUST consider the gender of their animals,
unless targs etc are hermaphrodite or parthenogenetic!

Back to archive top level