tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 12 01:39:11 1997

where do verb suffixes go in comparative clauses?

  Now that "the ship in which I fled" has been put back away in its hangar,
here is another point that I apologise if it has been sorted out already:-
  "Korax is fatter than Koloth" is {qoreQ pI' law' qolotlh pI' puS}, as is
well known. But what if the sentence needs a verb-suffix?
  "Korax seems to be fatter than Koloth" seems to be {qoreQ pI' law' qolotlh
pI' puS} plus a {-law'} = "apparently" suffix with nowhere obvious to go.
  Is it {qoreQ pI' law'law' qolotlh pI' puSlaw'}?, since the law' and the puS
seem to be in verbal role "is many" and "is few" although they are after their
subjects.
  Is it {qoreQ pI'law' law' qolotlh pI'law' puS}?
  Is it {qoreQ pI' law' qolotlh pI' puS 'e' 'oHlaw'}?
  Or what?
  Likewise, if someone was expecting visitors to dinner, he might order: "Kill
and clean the fattest male targh in my herd.";
  we have "In my herd, kill and clean the male targh which is fattest": but in
      {... targh'e' pI' law' Hoch pI' pus ...}
  I have put the -'e' on the apparent antecedent, but where does the -bogh go?

  And: The noun {loD} is "male, man", but what is the adjective "male" of an
animal? {loD 'oHbogh targh'e'}??

Back to archive top level