tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 11 05:40:03 1997

Re: plans

On Sun, 9 Nov 1997 19:33:30 -0800 (PST) Alan Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Well, I'm not *completely* sure that a question can never be the object of
> another sentence.

Well, as I noted earlier, I suspect that certain verbs might
work better than {Sov}. For example, I think it works with
{jang}, as in {yuch Soppu' 'Iv 'e' vIjanglaHbe'.} Even that
sounds strange to me, but not nearly as strange as anything else
presented, since the second verb does address the question and
not a pseudorelational pronoun/question word, and it is not a
direct quotation in the usual sense.

> But I haven't yet seen one that makes real grammatical
> sense, with the possible exception of questions using the {-'a'} suffix.
> Somehow, {yuch Soppu''a' puq 'e' vISovbe'} doesn't quite sound wrong, but
> {yuch Soppu' puq 'e' vISovbe'} seems to carry the same idea.

Yuck. I'd cast that as {chaq yuch Soppu' puq. jIpIH, 'ach jISovbejbe'.}

> -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level