tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 09 12:35:51 1997

Re: Question-Relative Clause

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 22:57:09 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:
> peHruS here:
>
> I am not saying that question words do the same job as {bogh} constructions.
>  I am saying that TKD 6.2.5 is very clear, to me, that {'e'} constructions
> are two separate sentences and that {'e'} is the Object of the second
> sentence; and, that same {'e'} refers back to the entire first sentence.
>  {bogh} constructions are valid.  I do not disagree one wit.

In TKD, Okrand explains that in some cases, something that is
said in one sentence in English is expressed in two sentences in
Klingon, and it goes on to explain the Sentence As Object
construction from there. While it is true that in Klingon, SAO
is actually two sentences, it is also true that these two
sentences can then be expressed, when translated, as one
sentence. This is where your attempt at Question As Object falls
apart.

If you are trying to argue that QAO has to be valid because the
two sentences can exist placed next to each other in Klingon
following all the rules of Klingon grammar, then the problem
comes when you try to translate them into one sentence in
English. The translations you have consistently proposed always
expresses a relative clause by ignoring the status as question
and massaging the wording.

Perhaps it would be valid to say:

'Iv qIp HoD? 'e' vIjanglaH.

Who did the captain hit? I can answer that.

Note that this is nothing like:

'Iv qIp HoD 'e' vISov.

The difference is that in my example, I leave the question as a
question and refer to the question and not its answer in my use
of the second sentence. Meanwhile, the resulting English
translation cannot be very clearly stated as one sentence. It
really works best left as two separate sentences because one is
a question and the other is a statement and the two do not
really fit well together in the same sentence in English.

All the QAO proponants thus far have failed to respect this
fundamental difference between a question and a statement.
Instead, you have mysteriously transformed questions into
statements and then inserted them into your translations.

Give it up.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level