tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 09 12:34:55 1997

Re: plans

I can see the point you believe yourself to be making here, but
I am quite certain you are misguided. To express the difference
in meaning you want, you need to choose more appropriate verbs
in a relative clause. Your concept of an indirect question is
invalid in Klingon grammar.

Klingon has direct quotes. It does not have indirect quotes. It
also has Sentence As Object, which is not related to any kind of
quote, question or not. Quotations are handled in the chapter on
Sentence As Object in TKD, but there are sufficient grammatical
differences to show that they are not grammatically related. I
can see how Okrand considered them to be similar enough in topic
to include them in the same chapter, though I suspect if he had
thought a little more about it, he would have made them separate
chapters.

Quotations are not like Sentence As Object because the quotation
does not act as object of the verb of speech. There is no
restriction on any verbs involved in a quotation using aspect
markers, while the second verb in SAO cannot take an aspect
marker. The verb of speech can appear before or after the
quotation.

Now, you are trying to argue that while indirect quotation is
never used with the Sentence As Object construction, for some
reason questions should be handled differently, even though
there is no hint anywhere in canon that this is the case.

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997 19:19:51 -0800 (PST) David Crowell
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Alan Anderson wrote:
> > >A indirect question consists of an interrogative sentence, transformed
> > >in a phrase such that it is asked about in another sentence.

First, I'd challenge the validity of any form of indirect
question in Klingon grammar. There is simply no justification
for it, so trying to set up criteria for its validity seems a
bit of an odd angle from which to examine this.
> > Can you give an example of such an "indirect question"?  Whatever it is,
> > it sounds to me like the "He knows who hit the child" example isn't one.
> "He knows who hit the child" _is_ an example of an indirect question.
> Question: What does he know?
> Answer: (He knows) who hit the child.

Note that this is not accurate. The question is not "What does
he know?" The question is "Who does he know?" Furthermore, the
question does nothing except to identify or describe the person
known. This is the function of a relative clause in Klingon
grammar.

> He might know because he saw the child being hit, however it is not
> known whether he knows the person who hit the child or not (he can be
> someone whom he never saw before). Perhaps he might know because he was
> the one who did the hitting.
> Or the child told him *who did it*.

All you need to have to make the difference you seek is to
change {Sov} to {ngu'laH}. You are trying to say that as a
relative clause, {puq qIppu'bogh nuv'e' Sov,} fails because he
may know the person who hit the child but not know that this
person hit the child. He may also be able to identify who hit
the child even though he is not familiar with that person and
therefore not know him. So, the problem is really with the
choice of verb, not with the choice of grammar.

This is the core of your argument and with a simple verb change,
your entire argument is completely unnecessary even before one
recognizes that it is invalid. It is clear that not one person
read what you wrote and understood what you were trying to
express, while I suggest that if you replace {Sov} with
{ngu'laH}, not one person who can understand how to translate a
Klingon relative clause would fail to understand what you meant.

This kind of ability to understand what we are saying is the
whole point of working with a langauge. If what you intend to
express fails to be generally understood, you fail. It is that
simple. You have failed.

> By the way, that was another example of an "indirect question".
> the child -- subject
> told -- verb
> him -- indirect object
> who hit the child -- direct object.

The problem here is that Klingon does not have this grammatical
construction. This would be expressed as a direct quote, which
is not a Sentence As Object at all:

muqIp HoD ja' puq.

or it would be expressed as a relative clause:

puq qIpbogh nuv ngu'ta' puq.
> > >But there is a difference in meaning between an indirect question and a
> > >relative clause.

There also is a difference in validity. Klingon does not have
indirect quotes or indirect questions. Deal with it. We lose
very little by this. The language gets along quite well without
them.

> > I'm curious about this.  Please provide an example of each and show what
> > you mean.
> See my previous posts
> > [much story snipped]
> > >Huch nge'bogh ghot Sov chom, 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sovbe' chom.
> > >Quark knows the one who took the money, but he doesn't know who took the
> > >money.

Huch nIHlaHta'bogh Hoch'e' Sov *Quark*, 'ach nIHwI'na'
ngu'laHbe'.

So, what is your point?
> Right, Quark knows the thief, because the thief is either Rom or Nog,
> and he knows both of them.
> However he just does not know who the thief is.

He is familiar with the thief, but he cannot identify him. The
confusion is created because we use the verb "know" to mean both
"be familiar with" and "be able to identify". Meanwhile, in
Klingon, while we don't have a separate verb for "be familiar
with", we do have a separate verb for "identify" and we can
solve this little problem without trying to invent new grammar.

> > Same question: does Paris know the thief or doesn't he?
> >
> > Oh, wait, perhaps I see what you're trying to do.  Are you attempting to
> > distinguish between two different meanings of the word "know"?  te
> Exactly. The first statement answers the question:
> Whom does Paris not know?
> The second and third sentences answers what Paris knows.

No it doesn't. The second one is simply gibberish. I can see why
you believe that this Question As Object is trying to hold the
meaning of the fact that money is stolen and a particular person
stole it, but in truth, you are only pointing at the person, not
the money or the action of stealing it. The money and theft are
only identifying descriptors of the person, which is what
relative clauses are all about. It is STILL a faulty attempt to
build a relative clause out of the wrong grammar through a
specialized form of indirect quotation when Klingon does not
SUPPORT indirect quotation in ANY form.

> A few languages do use different verbs to distinguish difference.
> Indirect question

But Klingon does not support any form of indirect quotation,
whether question or statement. Pointing out how these are
supported in other languages is irrelavant.

> the numbers are there to make the word-order in English:

> Spanish example...

> German example...

> > Instead
> > of misusing interrogatives as if they were relative pronouns in an attempt
> > to mirror the English phrasing, why not choose more precise words?
> >
> > {nIHwI' qIHta'be' Human 'ach nIHwI' ngu'laH Human.}
> > Paris hasn't met the thief, but Paris can identify the thief.
> But maybe Paris has met the thief, perhaps not. He might have ordered
> some food from Nog, and a drink from Rom.

You lost me here. What are you trying to express?

> It
> > -- ghunchu'wI'

charghwI'

Back to archive top level