tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 09 01:59:55 1997

Re: KLBC naDev jIchu'

ghItlh Qov
> >> }ghItlh Alan Anderson
> >> }> ["Worf and Gowron. We're Klingons," says one Klingon truthfully.]
> >> }> ja' charghwI':
> >> }> ><wo'rIv ghawran je. tlhIngan maH!> ja' wa' tlhIngan 'ej vIt.
[pe']
> >> It's clipped imperative, the correct way to address pets. From one
> >> of the audio tapes. It means "Bite that arm off" literally "Bite
> >> that arm! Separate it!"
[pe']
> "Why do you leave 'ej out" is a valid question, and the answer is
> just, that's the way it seems to be done with the Klingon imperative.
> Consider other examples like:

imperative? "[...], says one Klingon truthfully." Where does that
imperative come from? Kahless dropped it to us from the sky? :) When
I wrote the story, I had absolutely no intention of using imperatives.
{vIt} means simply "He speaks the truth" here.

/Doneq
______
reH Hegh yoHwI'pu''e'

Back to archive top level